Nirodha: "confinement, locking up, imprisonment. Investment, siege. Enclosing, covering up. Restraint, check, control, suppression, destruction. In drama, disappointment, frustration of hope." - Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary, p. 554
An image of the page:
selection from The "Yoga Sutra of Patanjali": A Biography
by David Gordon White
reprinted with permission from David Gordon WhiteAbandon all hope, ye who enter here
Dante passes through the gate of Hell, which bears an inscription ending with the famous phrase "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate", most frequently translated as "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."[nb 1
There are many English translations of this famous line. Some examples include:
All hope abandon, ye who enter here - Henry Francis Cary (1805–1814)
All hope abandon, ye who enter in! - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1882)
Leave every hope, ye who enter! - Charles Eliot Norton (1891)
Leave all hope, ye that enter - Carlyle Okey-Wicksteed (1932)
Lay down all hope, you that go in by me. - Dorothy L. Sayers (1949)
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here - John Ciardi (1954)
Abandon every hope, you who enter. - Charles S. Singleton (1970)
No room for hope, when you enter this place - C. H. Sisson (1980)
Abandon every hope, who enter here. - Allen Mandelbaum (1982)
Abandon all hope, you who enter here. - Robert Pinsky (1993); Robert Hollander (2000)
Abandon every hope, all you who enter - Mark Musa (1995)
Abandon every hope, you who enter. - Robert M. Durling (1996)
Verbatim, the line translates as "Leave (lasciate) every (ogne) hope (speranza), ye (voi) that (ch') enter (intrate)."
From the Wikipedia
entryAbandon all hope, ye who enter here
is also a meme, and can be used with ironic humor, when one crosses a portal or gateway into another realm. SUBZIN
- Movie Quotes
- 00:04:46 Hey! Hey! Wassup? Wassup?
- 00:04:51 God, it's so great to have a normal conversation.
- 00:04:58 Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
- 00:05:00 Is that from the new Ministry album? What?
- 00:05:03 Abandon all hope. Is that from the new Ministry album?
- 00:15:33 What the hell'd they do? Put a sign over the front door:
- 00:15:35 "abandon all hope, ye who enter here"?
- 00:15:40 Hunter's mom showed up today when he was at school.
- 00:15:44 She's planning to take him back.
Abandon all hope ye who enter here has been found in 64 phrases from 33 titles
- 00:01:25 Observers from UNIT. My admission pass.
- 00:01:37 Right, passes checked and satisfactory. Right, open the gates.
- 00:01:47 Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
- 00:02:10 Green, settle down. The Governor's on his way.
- 00:02:13 - Morning Chief, everything all right? - Will be, sir.
- L'orfeo: Favola in musica by Claudio Monteverdi (2002)
Buy at Amazon